Skip to Content

Asset Protection Permits

The purpose of asset protection is to ensure that public assets and infrastructure (eg footpaths, drains, roads, laneways etc) is safe, maintained in a serviceable condition and not left damaged at the completion of the building/demolition works. The applicant shall be held liable for damages caused by the building/demolition works.

The applicant must therefore notify the Council of all existing damage by completing and submitting all requirements of the Pre-commencement Report

 A fine of up to $1250 may apply if you start work without an Asset Protection Permit. Refer to Local Law No. 2 Clause 23 Building Works.

Important Note – Pre-commencement Report

Failure to submit the completed Pre-commencement Report with the Asset Protection Form (listed at the end of page) will result in the immediate cancellation of your application and forfeit of your application fees. 

How do I submit my Asset Protection Permit application?

Asset Protection Permit applications can be returned through the following:

Mail to:
City of Greater Dandenong
PO Box 200

Fax to:
(03) 8571 5196

In person:
Return completed form to any Council’s Customer Service Centres

For further information or enquiries please phone 8571 1000. 

Frequently Asked Questions

When is an Asset Protection Permit required?

An asset protection permit is required when undertaking construction, renovation, alteration, relocation etc:

  • building works where the cost exceeds $10,000
  • swimming pools, spas and water features where the cost exceeds $5000
  • all building demolition works 

Why should I notify Council of any asset damage?

Residents are required under Local Law No. 2 Clause 23, to obtain an Asset Protection Permit for any activities that may cause damage to Council’s infrastructure and nature strip assets and obliged to notify Council of any damages. Notification is only done by fully completing a Pre-commencement Report.


How much does an Asset Protection Permit cost?

A non-refundable application fee of $287.80** applies to meet administrative and site inspection costs. Inspection costs are incurred by Council to assess the condition of its assets before, during and after building works.

**The application fee is reviewed annually by Council and applies from 1 July to 30 June the next year.


What is an Asset Protection Pre-commencement Report?

The Pre-commencement Report protects the applicant against paying for damage that may have existed on to Council’s infrastructure and nature strip assets prior to starting the building/demolition works. To clearly identify the damaged Council infrastructure and nature strip assets on site, the applicant is required to provide a written description of pre-existing damage as well as photographic evidence of damage within the setting of the surrounding area.

What is security bond?

A security bond is required to cover cost of potential damages to Council’s infrastructure and nature strip assets that may result from your building and/or demolition works. If the value of the bond does not cover the rectification costs, Council will invoice you to recover the additional cost. If minor or no damage occurs, then partial or entire bond will be returned to you accordingly. 

Cost of security bonds:

  • $1500 -  residential properties
  • $2000 -  commercial/ Industrial properties

Is there an alternative to rectify damages?

The applicant may choose to carry out rectification works to Council’s standards and/or specifications provided this is arranged prior to commencing rectification.

How do I reclaim my security bond?

Once the building and/or demolition works are complete, applicants are required to:

  1. Book a final inspection, preferably via email to or by calling customer service 8571 5350.  Allow 48 hours for an inspection to occur.

  2. Before the inspection, the applicant must ensure that:
    a) Footpath and vehicle crossing are free of building materials, debris, mud etc.
    b) Nature strip is levelled and grass seeded.
    c) Temporary fencing/electricity supply pole is removed.
    d) Bins and skips are cleared from the nature strip.
    e) Hot water system is completely installed.
    f) Certificate of Occupancy, Final Inspection Certificate or Statement of Completion (whichever is applicable), is submitted to Council via email to

If Council’s authorised officer is satisfied that:

  •  No damage has been caused; or
  •  Damage has been repaired to Council’s standards and/or specifications

A letter of release will be sent to the permit holder and the bond will be returned.

In order for the refunds to be returned, applicants need to download the Electronic Funds Transfer Form (EFT).

What do I need to lodge my application?

In order for your application to proceed as smoothly as possible, please simultaneously submit the following completed forms as well as pay the necessary fees:

1.  Pre-commencement Report  and photographs
2.  Permit Application Form
3.  Public Liability Insurance Details (Demolisher and/or Builder)
4.  Non-Refundable Application Fee: (valid till end of June 2018)
      $287.80 - Building
      $204.25 - Demolition 
5.  Refundable Bond of $1500 (Residential) or $2000 (Industrial/Commercial)
6.  Electronic Funds Transfer Form (EFT) for bond refund

Download all of the above Asset Protection Application Forms (456KB)


How long does it take to obtain a Permit?

The permit will be issued within 10 working days, subject to receipt of all required information, and is valid for the specified period, or 12 months from the date of issue, unless renewed or extended.

How do I renew or extend my Permit?

Council will send you a Permit Expiry Letter advising that works should not continue without the valid Asset Protection Permit.  If your works need to be extended or renewed, you need to:

  • Send email to quoting your APP reference number and address

  • Pay applicable renewal fee via cash, cheque or credit card (phone 8571 1000 – Customer Service) and advise of receipt details

  • Council will then issue a renewal permit, via email or post (if email is not provided)

Note:  No new application forms are required to be submitted for renewal