Busking includes any of the following activities:
- Playing a musical instrument
- Giving a recitation
- Performing magic, juggling, music, puppetry or dance
- Drawing a message, picture
- Performing any other form of entertainment on a road or in a public place
Is a permit required?
Busking in the form of singing or playing a non-amplified musical instrument may be performed without a permit, subject to permit conditions.
A permit is required for all forms of busking.
To busk at the Dandenong Market, you must obtain permission from the market office. Phone 9701 3850 for more information.
Applying for a local law permit
If a local law permit is required complete an application for a busking permit form (103KB).
Fees apply and must be paid at time of application. See Local Law Permit Fees 2017-2018 PDF (426KB) for current fees.
When submitting an application for any other type of busking, the applicant must attach proof of a $5 million public liability insurance cover indemnifying Council against any possible claims arising from the activity.
Permits issues are only valid for four days within any 30 day period.
- Must obtain written consent from the proprietor of the business outside which they intend to busk
- Are not to cause annoyance or obstruction to persons or traffic
- Are not to obstruct doorways of other entrances
- Must cease the activity immediately when requested by the business proprietor or an authorised council officer
- Are not to busk in the one location for more than two consecutive days
- Are not to use electronic amplification equipment, unless they hold a permit
- If holding a busking permit, it must be presented upon request